There are many perks to sending your children off to sleepaway camp this summer! Below you will find a wide-variety of ways that your children will benefit from this once in a lifetime experience.
1. Camp is more than a place for playing, what does going to camp teach our kids?
- Your child will have to fend for him/herself and take charge of daily tasks like making the bed, picking out clothes and taking a shower. These may be things your child does on his/her own already, but now s/he will develop a sense of self-reliance.
- Although you will miss them, they will be forced to interact with others and form bonds on their own.
2. The camp experience will be a new one for some kids, what can kids and parents expect?
Broaden Their Horizons
- Interacting with a diverse group of kids their age from across the globe will expand their cultural understanding and encourage them to communicate with people who are different.
Develop Lifelong Friendships
- Because they will be interacting with people from all over the world, they will be able to develop a network of friends who will become invaluable when applying to college and finding a job.
3. What are some other benefits to the sleepaway camp experience?
- As your children realize they are capable of being on their own they will begin to feel better about who they are, as well as about their capabilities.
Teachable Moment: Have kids write a letter home once a week about their adventures at camp. If they’re older have them start a blog where they can document their summer away and share their experiences with you.